Happy New Year, my dear friends and readers! I hope you had a good one!
- Blouse - Spense, consignment; last worn here in September 2016 with sick pants
- Skirt - Fairweather, c. 1999; last worn way back here in September 2008 when I wore it to my first Alice Cooper concert!
- Shoes - Poetic Licence; last seen here while fully fringed in January 2016
L and I hosted a small (12 people) potluck dinner and evening at our place. Only the most awesome people were there! I wanted to be comfortable, but also glam.
|"I'm unimpressed. Exit cat, stage left."|
- Belt - Mimi Di N, thrifted
- Leaf bracelet - vintage store
- Bangle - local
- Earrings - Lazy Susan's (first wear)
- Lapis lazuli ring/Fulvia Ring - Wendy Brandes
- Fascinator (not shown) - Heart's Content
A very Happy 2017 to all of you, from L and I!
Linking up to:
- "Visible Monday" over at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style
- "I Will Wear What I Like" over at Catherine's Not Dressed as Lamb
- "Hat Attack!" over at Judith's Style Crone
And a very big thank you to all of these awesome women for hosting these link-ups! I don't always participate, but I do always appreciate.
So, I do a "soft" resolution most years, just a small challenge to myself to make sure I have something to work towards. I have always loved reading, and since 2008, I've tracked all the books I've read (in a little hard copy journal, because I like writing things down), and for the past few years, I've tried to "meet or beat" my previous year's total. I count books of any length, so some are just barely novella-sized (around 100 pages), but some are 700+ pages, so I figure it all evens out.
Anyway, last year, I read 45 books. Wow! I'm impressed with myself. I have been trying to be more mindful about shutting off all the electronics (neither L nor I have cellphones/iPhones/tablets/iPads, etc.) and TV at 10:30pm and then going to bed and reading. It's paid off.
In case you care, here are all the books I read last year. Most of them are my choice; some are Book Club picks (BC), some are bathroom books (heh), but most are just me working through the books in stacks beside the bed. The numbers are my personal ratings out of 5.
- The Diamond Conspiracy - Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris (3/5)
- No One Belongs Here More Than You (short stories) - Miranda July (4/5)
- Furiously Happy - Jenny Lawson (3/5)
- The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham (3/5)
- Brothers in Arms - Lois McMaster Bujold (3/5) - I borrowed this whole series from a coworker this year
- The Dispossessed - Ursula K. LeGuin (2/5)
- Variable Star - Robert A. Heinlein & Spider Robinson (4/5)
- Revival - Stephen King (3/5)
- Borders of Infinity - Lois McMaster Bujold - (3/5)
- Frog Music - Emma Donoghue (3/5) - BC
- The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton (3/5) - BC
- Damned - Chuck Palahniuk (3/5)
- The Dark Side of the Earth - Alfred Bester (2/5)
- Memory - Lois McMaster Bujold (4/5)
- Doomed - Chuck Palahniuk (2/5)
- Wild Seed - Octavia E. Butler (4/5)
- Look to Windward - Iain M. Banks (4/5)
- The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss (3/5)
- Komarr - Lois McMaster Bujold (4/5)
- Because of Love (poetry) - Robin Skelton (2/5) - he was one of my Creative Writing profs in university
- The Map of Time - Felix J. Palma (2/5)
- A Gift of Magic - Lois Duncan (2/5) - one of my favourite YA authors, who died this year, so I re-read all of her books that I own
- Killing Mr. Griffin - Lois Duncan (2/5)
- A Civil Campaign - Lois McMaster Bujold (3.5/5)
- Winterfair Gifts - Lois McMaster Bujold (4/5)
- Daughters of Eve - Lois Duncan (3/5)
- The Imperfectionists - Tom Rachman (3/5) - BC
- Thuvia, Maid of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs (3/5)
- Stranger With My Face - Lois Duncan (4/5)
- The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt (4/5) - BC
- The Twisted Window - Lois Duncan (2/5)
- The Computer Connection - Alfred Bester (3/5)
- The Chessmen of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs (4/5)
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (graphic novel) - Marjane Satrapi\
- The Crow Road - Iain Banks (5/5)
- Diplomatic Immunity - Lois McMaster Bujold (3/5)
- Black Hills - Dan Simmons (4/5)
- Spider Kiss - Harlan Ellison (1/5)
- The Gods of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs (2/5)
- The Algebraist - Iain M. Banks (3/5)
- All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerrr (3/5) - BC
- Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman (3/5)
- The Golden Spruce - John Vallant (5/5)
- Working for the Devil - Lilith Saintcrow (3/5)
- Dead Man Rising - Lilith Saintcrow (3/5)
This year's goal - again, "meet or beat" that number. I can do it!
Do you make a resolution, even a "soft" one like I do?